Heinlein Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for people who are social and political iconoclasts (A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill. Robert A. Heinlein)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out Empty
PostSubject: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 3:42 pm

Ok, we bugged out to Shawnee Lookout what do we do now. Smile Let's discuss a plan together.
Back to top Go down
https://heinleincentral.forumotion.com
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm here.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 5:01 pm

As a work in progress I think we should describe how we have set up the park.

When I got to the park as a PC Conal told me that there was nothing there at all. No buildings no cabin nothing. This was to force me back into the game and the neighborhood. As I told him it was unrealistic to expect me to return to the game as a PC because I would not have returned to the cluster fuck in real life. I would have just rode away to the South West of Indiana which is relatively uninhabited.

Now working from what is actually on site we can develop a NPC plan. I think I have sent everyone the map? If not here is a link to it.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/17/33/14/61/shawne11.jpg
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Are there planted fields? how many acres? Planted with what? Do they have example gardens of period food plantings?

Are there demo livestock around (like Williamsburg which has a few sheep)?

We cached our good stuff.

I agree we should start by fortifing at least one cabin and a lookout tower, and hopefully set up a chicken house.

Is there a well? That should be included in the fortification plan.

Can we figure out how to move the beehives from Jonathans and pick up our stashes? or his beekeeping equipment? Can we get hives from another farm?

Just a note, we have 15 hens and a rooster.

We brought maybe three weeks of dehydrated food, grains, and some freshly smoked meat.

In addition to the 4 horses, we have 3 mountain bikes with 2'x3' 2 wheeled carts and a back platform with saddlebags.

We brought guns, ammo, archery equipment and some spices and basic medical stuff. I'm hoping their is a demo kitchen at this site?
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Does the cabin have a woodstove? Oven? fireplace?
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Pictures of the inside of the cabin (That cabin is what used to be called a Fortified House in the 1700s)

http://davidgmiller.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c5f6d53ef0147e224cc94970b-450wi

There is most defiantly a fireplace I can't find a pic of it right now. I have seen it in one of the websites but can't find that site now.

Here is the spring house

http://crystalstravels.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/p5222618.jpg

Somebody's blog about the park

http://crystalstravels.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/shawnee-lookout-park-north-bend-ohio/

I also discovered that this weekend the Longhunters are holding an event at the site. Wonder if any of them would show up in the Armageddon reality.

Info about accommodations

http://www.miamitownship.org/home/parks
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 6:11 pm

http://loishands.blogspot.com/2012/04/shawnee-lookout-hamilton-county-ohio.html

http://www.graphicenterprises.net/html/shawnee_lookout.html

two photo blogs of the site the second has more interior pics.

It also seems that the onsite toilets are the typical deep pit outhouses which are perfect for us.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 6:32 pm

FrauHirsch1 wrote:
Are there planted fields? how many acres? Planted with what? Do they have example gardens of period food plantings?

Seems to only have a herb garden on site....look to the west across the Miami river near Guards Island...there looks to be over a thousand acres of planted fields. I suggest we have a cache point on Guards Island.

Quote :
Are there demo livestock around (like Williamsburg which has a few sheep)?

We cached our good stuff.

Don't seem to be there is a Barn and alot of open fields we can bring some in from raiding.

Quote :

I agree we should start by fortifing at least one cabin and a lookout tower, and hopefully set up a chicken house.

Is there a well? That should be included in the fortification plan.

The spring house has a natural spring. Also spring houses never get above 60 degrees even on the hottest day and we can keep food refrigerated there. We will have to decide which is best to fortify...the stone spring house or the heavy wood cabin?

Quote :

Can we figure out how to move the beehives from Jonathans and pick up our stashes? or his beekeeping equipment? Can we get hives from another farm?

We can get them with carts but it will take the entire night of slow progress to get them back.

Quote :
Just a note, we have 15 hens and a rooster.

We brought maybe three weeks of dehydrated food, grains, and some freshly smoked meat.

In addition to the 4 horses, we have 3 mountain bikes with 2'x3' 2 wheeled carts and a back platform with saddlebags.

I brought two months worth of food on my horses. Also brought my dogs. I'll deal with feeding them but the little dogs are good watch dogs and the boxer is a good hunting dog and guard. I also have tack we can use to hook up horses to wagons or plows. We just don't have a wagon or a plow.

Quote :
We brought guns, ammo, archery equipment and some spices and basic medical stuff. I'm hoping their is a demo kitchen at this site?

I brought a SKS -over 1000 rnds. a Nagant- couple hundred rnds, a 45 lc - several boxes of ammo, a derringer one box of ammo,- .22 rifle 100 rnd, 12g shotgun- several boxes of ammo, 410 g shot gun several boxes of ammo, 50 cal black powder rifle - 2 cans of powder and many many slugs, one crossbow 70 lb pull a few bolts.

I also brought a shoe box packed full of heirloom seeds, and 32 books on primitive living. plus my bug out bags (camping supplies, two weeks worth of rations and water), two axes, one hand saw, two shovels (one flat and one spade), a hand axe/tomahawk, and knives forks etc.

Last edited by Gideon on Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 6:38 pm

I almost forgot I took all the meds and sacks of feed that I got at the Tractor supply place. So depending on Conals generosity I took thousands upon thousands of doses of cow, dog, and horse antibiotics, dewormer, rabies shots, first shots, baby animal antibiotics etc. also all the syringes and refrigerated meds which I will have stashed in the coldest part of the spring house.

We can use the meds on ourselves if we need them. They are the same as human meds. My brother uses fish antibiotics and it hasn't killed him.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 6:50 pm

These are the things I want to get from my house besides the bees and bee equipment.

2- 300 feet rolls of wire fencing, about 20 metal fence posts, my post pounder and post puller, 1000 ft of barbed wire (I offered it but they never used it), three more saddles, couple more axes, my SCA camping box, My pavilion, my leather working tool box, my pewter casting tool box, my hand tool box, My horse grooming box, all the bleach and household cleaners I have, and all my food that we can carry. That will probably take all four horses.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 7:51 pm

I recommend fortifying the spring house.

We let the dogs follow us, but only the tatra kept up. The other one may mosey in eventually. The tatra is an untrained livestock guard and can catch/find her own food.

I gave Baron Conal a list of what we took with us. Some basic meds, food, bad weather gear, tools, weapons, needles, spices and a guitar.

It would be nice to make a couple of runs and later try the hive.

The 14 x 14 wedge with asbestos lined pipe hole and woodstove would be a good item from our place, fabric for sand bags, shovels, and other garden equipment, hand tools, axes and saws, more rope. sewing stuff, wool blankets and bedding for all. We could use some big buckets and some laundry supplies. There are chests and books and primitive cooking gear/dutch ovens.

It would be gerat to get more chickens.

more food stashed from the pantry, more arrows and hand weapons, scissors, etc.

We should scout the big farms and raid if possible (how to get across the river?) We could use some sheep/goats.

We have guns and maybe 500 rnds ammo, but had to leave 1000 - couldn't carry all.

A hive would be awesome, but would be a lot of work.

My guess is the old pit toilet is gone and we'll have to dig a new one. With only 7 of us, this does not have to happen for a few days.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 8:04 pm

I would also like to snag the traps...
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 8:46 pm

Shawnee lookout has a dock and ramp. We should consider scouting out a boat rental place at another park and taking some canoes and kayaks.

It looks like a great place for your fishing weir and a good place to get waterfowl too.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Kayak and canoe rental due north up the Miami river on the other side of the planted crops near the 275.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 10:14 pm

I was thinking about how to cook with minimal smoke. We have much better access to check out the coal plant from this side of the bridge.

I'm torn about going back. There is a lot I want from home, but a minimum profile is probably more important right now, on the other hand, the bridge could end up blocked and tolled by a gang later on.

The canoes are a future thought.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 10:36 pm

We are supposed to be the gang that blocks and tolls the bridge. At least that is what I discussed with Conal Smile
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 10:44 pm

FrauHirsch1 wrote:
I was thinking about how to cook with minimal smoke. We have much better access to check out the coal plant from this side of the bridge.

I'm torn about going back. There is a lot I want from home, but a minimum profile is probably more important right now, on the other hand, the bridge could end up blocked and tolled by a gang later on.

The canoes are a future thought.

We can cook only at night and in the house. That will keep smoke traces to a minimum.

Also we will have one person in the tower at all times. That way we can't be surprised as it is at the highest point I have little doubt it can see all three entrances and the river bank. That person can use my binoculars and we will give him a bell to ring if he sees something. (of course we need to scurry back to my house and get the dinner bell out of my SCA camp gear). For now he can bang on some metal we should hear that. Also we should ask Conal what we see from the tower in Cincinnati I'm sure we can see the source of the smoke from the tower.

Canoes and boats are a great idea and we need to stash one on our side near guard island so we can escape to that island if we get overrun. It doesn;t look like an island on the map but the side near the field is a swampy wetland that has trees growing up in it.

I also agree that the spring house is the best place to fortify. We can start with a Roman pike wall with berm and build a log stockade behind it as we have time. I told Tomburr to take any caltrops they had made since they weren't going to use them except in an emergency so if he did that we can spread them out on our flanks and using flagging tape to show us where they are. As long as no one knows thats what the tape is for it will work.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:05 pm

A trip to get the barb wire would be a good idea.

I think you guys could get in and out pretty quick in the middle of the night. I can do with cooking before dawn and after dark with cold food midday. Depends on what we have to cook.

If you could tell me what plants to gather, that would help.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:10 pm

I didn't realize about the island. That is a great idea and might be a good place to cache some basic survival stuff.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:14 pm

I think I will tell Conal that the night after you leave we run in and take that stuff. Since the game is on hold till Monday it will be Monday night.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:16 pm

After viewing the videos and ;looking at the information about Shawnee Lookout I can't imagine staying in that neighborhood.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:26 pm

Would you say the bikes/carts are noisier or the horses? The horses can go off the beaten path if needed.

Chicken wire would be good too, but I think it would be too heavy without a bike.

My husband rides horses, but not in a while.

More blankets/sheets and such would be useful too.

We still have to account for Ingvarr, who came back with Tomburr, too.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:30 pm

We might want to just have someone go with Ingvarr (Tomburr would be good) and offer any others to come.

but you and my husband could be following to get there at dark to snatch stuff. A bike and all the horses.

Tomburr would just walk right in and be a distraction, we could hold a horse for him in at a meet up.

He could just do like we did and say he is spending the night, at your house and then splitting after its cache'd in the woods with a few more of your hens.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Ingvarr has not looked at my PM I sent him yesterday when he asked for pictures of the park. So I don't know what is going on there. I do know that Kilkenny thinks that our settlement is a backup for them. I can tell you now there is no way I would invite him, Insane Irish, or Gorm to the party. Not in real life It would become a power struggle with them expecting to control everything other people accomplished. So when Ingvarr goes back if he does he needs to make it clear we are not their back up site.

Bikes and horses are about the same noise level. Technically according to the map my house is so far back in the woods that they would never hear anyone coming from the woods behind the house. We would however need to watch out for their strings with cans on them. I have two dead broke horses that anyone can ride if they stay at a walk.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:34 pm

Gideon wrote:
Ingvarr has not looked at my PM I sent him yesterday when he asked for pictures of the park. So I don't know what is going on there. I do know that Kilkenny thinks that our settlement is a backup for them. I can tell you now there is no way I would invite him, Insane Irish, or Gorm to the party. Not in real life It would become a power struggle with them expecting to control everything other people accomplished. So when Ingvarr goes back if he does he needs to make it clear we are not their back up site.

Bikes and horses are about the same noise level. Technically according to the map my house is so far back in the woods that they would never hear anyone coming from the woods behind the house. We would however need to watch out for their strings with cans on them. I have two dead broke horses that anyone can ride if they stay at a walk.

That's a good idea.

It is sort of funny how much we don't trust that group.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out Empty

Back to top Go down

Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heinlein Central :: Off Topic :: Prepping and Escaping the Grid-
Jump to: