Heinlein Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for people who are social and political iconoclasts (A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill. Robert A. Heinlein)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
FrauHirsch1

Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 9:15 pm

I also notice a few horses over there on the other side of the golf course.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 9:22 pm

And the homes have propane tanks. The big ones.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 1:19 pm

I just gave Lurker a plan for their Gentleman John character that will leave Armour lane pissed as hell Smile
Back to top Go down
https://heinleincentral.forumotion.com
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 1:30 pm

What are our food supplies like?

I took two months worth of food from my stockpile

I also have chicken feed (could be eaten) will last the chickens several months

The horses can eat grass for now.

We can build a weir in the pond or even in the Miami river (it isn't all that deep) we can net fish as well as I used the nets to carry stuff on the horses.

In my area blackberries are ripe in Ohio it will be a another week. However there are tons of plants that we can eat right now.

I don't think we should stock more than a two months supply of food per person until August then we work on a winter store from August to October that will last the winter.

I didn't address the toilet situation earlier but the toilets on site are already outhouse style toilets. We don't actually need to build any. We will need to have sanitation stations at each outhouse. Basically a bucket of clean water soup and a towel.

We need about five more people.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 1:50 pm

I may be crazy but I ordered a bunch of animal antibiotics today and I am also ordering a couple gasmasks. I have been prepping for awhile I just never did real cover those two bases until now.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 4:13 pm

I said I took 80 lbs of dried meat. This should be able to be reconstituted to 2x that much. I also said I took most of our freeze dried stores - which is 4 mos for 4 people, and any beans/rice/flour/sugar/candy/chocolate and coffee we had (and some evaporated milk :-)

We also have 15 hens and 1 rooster. If one goes broody, we should let her hatch some.

We should set up a natural fence for them and a shelter - woven. I have books on that, I'm sure you do too.

There are 6 of us.

So with natural gathered foods, planting and nurturing the lookout garden, and some game additions, we should be fine for about 6 months if we are careful.

I brought - basic bedding, extra wool blankets, extra clothes, bad weather gear and some for hot weather, 1 big propane bottle and a camp stove, basic open fire cooking ware, flints and steels, arrows, light bows, some woodworking tools, shovels and 2 axes, a pick, and a hoe, good knives, a sword or two and all our guns and ammo, all our first aid stuf and meds, and a variety of basic soaps, scrubbers, and hygene stuff, also fishing gear, rope and twine for nets, sewing notions, and some extra fabric for making more bags and other needs (we could raid any empty house for more), a few tarps, 6 hens, key survival books.

I figure we would have been able to carry about 200 lbs each on each of the 3 carts, backpacks bike saddlebags and personal packs.

If we can get back for the stash, we'd have all the canned goods, more tools and propane...but I don't think we need propane if we can find an empty house across the golf course.

I would have sent my oldest with a pack of about 45 lbs with a bunch of basics should be not be able to get back to us.

If we can keep the chickens fed, we will can get enough protien for us 6 per day to survive for a long time. I'd save any long term preserved food if we can for winter.

I have two more months of food for 4 cached.

Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 4:16 pm

We would have packed the stuff for travel in canvas bags and packs and white plastic buckets.

I would have thrown in some septic enzymes..
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 4:28 pm

I also mentioned taking seeds (some heirloom), and spices.

I would also have a reloader with bullet molds for 5 of the guns.

I would probably have grabbed the hand water pump and a short hose.

And a few potatoes for seed potatos and some garlic heads I had set aside.

I put the stashes only a few hundred yards from the river in the woods, so we could boat over at night and grab some if the current is weak here.

Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Did you tell them we were taking the boats? I think we can find 3 kayaks, a couple of rowboats and a canoe pretty easily), we can use the two smaller kayaks to make barges to get stuff across the river.

We could also hook up with Gentleman John's group or organize any preppers left from the mansions and the river's edge area.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 4:54 pm

And I would distribute the long term food supplies and some of the ammo and weapons in caches too. We could be overrun here as well, and even by Gentleman John.

Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Sounds like the timeline is that we got there this morning before daylight.

Tonight is a NNE wind and the area should still be damp, the smoke and fire should burn away from us making a natural firebreak.

If you've scouted the area, we could help you get boats tonight, then blow and burn.

Meanwhile, the three of us would have to crash a good part of the day - it was busy the last few nights.

Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 5:54 pm

I set one Cache up already on Guard Island. Maybe we should set up a second at the far end of the pond. That's pretty far out of the way.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 6:39 pm

If you or Tomburr meet up with anyone trying to wander into our area during the day, you should put on park uniforms gathered from what appears to be a gift store and say you are the ranger archeologist and the CDC has declared this area contimated due to cholera outbreaks, also point out there is no exit from this area and no food or clean water. Tell them you are still going to watch the park for a bit, but there isn't much left and people have come by and had to backtrack several miles. I would think many of the local urbanites would at least know the rivers dead end here and would be heading more north to where 90% of the farms are.

Official people may still hold sway with your average Joe wanderer. Badass Joe Gangbangers may start to show up.

After we sleep part of the day, we'll help fortify, set booby traps, and gather wild greens/tubers/berries or whatever else is around that you point out for us while you guys rest for tonights business.

Back to top Go down
Tomburr

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 6:41 pm

As for the supplies I brought, I pm'd Jonathan a complete inventory which I will list here for convenience:

We'll have the antibiotics I stole, all the food items she has dried/canned/etc, stored in Tupperware, Saran wrap, tin foil, Ziplock bags and whatever non-perishables we were given by scavengers in the group and what we had on hand (let's say enough food for ~1 month for two adults & a toddler) a small toolbox of my best hand tools & some fasteners, an axe, my bill hook & bow saw, my guns & ammo, a select few books on survival and other related subjects, all the medical supplies we've got, a few toddler-specific items, a few items of utilitarian clothing, sleeping bags & blankets, a compact tent, candles & matches, flint & steel, a roll of leather and some leather working tools, and a guitar.

I will help with the demolition operations to close the routes to us, and I think building a weir would be more fun to undertake before the water gets cold. So I can help there, too. I can take a bit of time in the morning/evening to gather & cut a bit of firewood and assess the spring house situation when I'm not on guard duty.

Meanwhile, my wife is a quick learner and an able hand at most anything but she's got our 20 m.o. daughter to keep up with. Still, she's a full time mother so she has perfected the art of getting things done while baby-wrangling. She can help with whatever needs to be done around the living area.

Since our days are pretty busy just to keep the basics covered, I'd like to see what we can do to get more folks living here who can help out. Could we potentially add any NPCs at some point, if we go to get them?

Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 7:50 pm

I think we should add some from the other side of the golf course, but only if they are preppers.

We will need to be strong enough to guard for pirates later in the summer/fall who would wander up the hill upon going after the coal.

And who will also go after the food in the fields across the Miami. We'd need to build the strong group or join a strong group.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Ok, I didn't realize we have 8 total people, but only 7 adults.

I'd still be happier with more (if they have their own food supply).

Mormons/LDS would really be the most likely group that would immediately have skills, food, guns and ammo.

Another option is that reenactors could show up at the lookout.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 8:16 pm

The problem is that to bring in NPCs is bringing in NPCs. Smile they are just fodder. Those people in the Mansions would probably make good trading partners however. The people there are most likely armed to the teeth and any wanderers who come our way will attack them first.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 9:38 pm

I am getting some very interesting results by looking at Google Earth using the street view setting. That building I thought was a Barn is a 19th century farmhouse. Looks like it is in good shape but not occupied. The landscape is very steep and hilly around our area. Also you can see the Energy plant and the gas/diesel storage place really well. Also looking at the houses across from the golf course.

There is another abandoned 19th century house just down the rd from the first on the map I thought it was some business office for the power plant but it isn't.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 3:57 am

The one by the coal plant may be stinky from coal dust/smoke so people moved out?

I would want to approach the coal from the rear of that big pile so people don't see us from across the river. I think more than just Armor lane will have their sights set on it. Over the next few days. I think we should stash enough for winter if possible in caches on the island and elsewhere.

We might be able to trade coal to the mansions so they don't have to travel so far and leave their place unattended.

The one farm with horses is the most likely to have some rural people in it, but a lot of the home on that road past the golf course just look like suburban homes.

There are boats near that North River road past the diesel storage area. I saw at least one light bass boat and a few others...

I think some of the golf course home and even some of the Mansions could be unoccupied due to them not making it home or being on travel, so they might have food, but could find dead people if they were stupid or suicides even.

Most would be on septic out there and with the propane there is cooking, but if they ran out of food, there isn't really any near by and no stores, so some may have left.

Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 9:51 am

For any Government officials viewing this forum. This topic is a roleplaying game not real life. I thought I might want to make that clear as governments have a problem distinguishing reality from fiction at times.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Good point -- This is a GAME.

BTW, we could ask Sasha, the boat expert to come be Non Player Characters with us and teach us about boats.

Another thought about the diesel storage area - it has a lot of chain link which we could use to block roads further up.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Well it should be laying around all over after the explosion Smile Sasha is a good idea.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 1:44 pm

So Today I think booby traps, bunkers, and other deterrants should be in the mix, some coal moving, some scouting and empty house raiding after dark, and maybe contact with neighbors during the day who look like they have their stuff together on the other side of the golf course. We could offer to help them block the road into their area and suggest they consolidate and fortify in the big house with the barn and a field of fire. I assume in these few days you guys already made one 'latrine hole"? We can start a composting area and weave some privacy screens around it for now.

I can plant a good chunk of the heirloom seeds with help from one son and Tomburr's family - we'd have to hoe/dig up the grass. We can make a compost pile for the weeds for now. In the future we can add a border of woven green branches to make sides.

To block the road on that NE side, they could put up chain link scavenged from somewhere, dig a big trench and put up a sign with a map showing this is a dead end neighborhood and there is no food here, or the cholera notices... or even put on a map where evac/emergency centers are and how to get there (could be fake for all we care).

Should we blow the bridge on the NW side of the river with a few of the propane tanks?

IMHO, we would want to make friends with those who are also preppers, but encourage the others to travel to the triage center or emergency center in town to get govt. help.

With some official 'rangers' uniforms, some of us could fake being official really well.

Sasha has not replied yet.
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 1:46 pm

We can also put out some catfish lines and snares to see what we get...

They wouldn't require that much time to do so...
Back to top Go down
FrauHirsch1

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 1:49 pm

I keep shaking my head that they still aren't spending time fortifying and centralizing around John S's farm.

So will they start including more neighbors? My guess is yes, and then when their food runs out, the neighbors'll expect to have the rest shared with them.

If I was going to be the neighborhood cook, I'd set up that space in the neighborhood outside of Armor lane and have people bring food and they would get exactly out what they put in...

Otherwise everyone will be wandering through and checking it out...

This should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out   Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Armour Archive Armageddon the NPC bug out
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heinlein Central :: Off Topic :: Prepping and Escaping the Grid-
Jump to: