Heinlein Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for people who are social and political iconoclasts (A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill. Robert A. Heinlein)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Heinlein's Works

Go down 
+4
Gideon
Tiamat
Aric2000
Nilla
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Nilla
Admin
Nilla

Heinlein's Works Empty
PostSubject: Heinlein's Works   Heinlein's Works EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 12:46 am

I am going to look for some of Heinlein's books this weekend. I have only read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land. Recommendations? I figured I would look for Starship Troopers first.
Back to top Go down
Aric2000

Heinlein's Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heinlein's Works   Heinlein's Works EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 3:34 am

Nilla wrote:
I am going to look for some of Heinlein's books this weekend. I have only read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land. Recommendations? I figured I would look for Starship Troopers first.

OMG, YES, Starship troopers is the best, I have worn out 2 copies of that book, and on my third...

It is the best of the best, the only one that comes close is Time enough for love.....
Back to top Go down
Tiamat

Tiamat

Heinlein's Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heinlein's Works   Heinlein's Works EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 6:53 am

Hey Nilla~

Try "Citizen of the Galaxy".

Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

Heinlein's Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heinlein's Works   Heinlein's Works EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 8:17 am

To stick with the theme of Politics and for the fact it won a Hugo award I suggest you read Double Star. One of his best books.
Back to top Go down
https://heinleincentral.forumotion.com
Nilla
Admin
Nilla

Heinlein's Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heinlein's Works   Heinlein's Works EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 7:20 pm

I actually changed my mind. I am going to buy these books off of Amazon since they seem to have reread value.
Back to top Go down
ibkc66

Heinlein's Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heinlein's Works   Heinlein's Works EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 12:55 am

I've only read Stranger in a Strange Land, which I am told is atypical of his work. I enjoyed it, but it is weird weird weird, and IMO quite dated, but at the same time I feel it still has great value because of the influence it exerted on the 60's counterculture, and on the then-blossoming pagan religious groups which took its ideas to heart. Also, the writing is magnificent, if uneven.

Next on my list is Starship Troopers. Alex tells me that it is the exact opposite of Stranger in a Strange Land, all macho and manly and militaristic. I can get into that. And I never saw the movie, so I have no preconceived notions. It's sitting on a desk upstairs, when I have the time to pick up a novel.
Back to top Go down
balrog666

balrog666

Heinlein's Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heinlein's Works   Heinlein's Works EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 3:04 pm

ibkc66 wrote:
I've only read Stranger in a Strange Land, which I am told is atypical of his work. I enjoyed it, but it is weird weird weird, and IMO quite dated, but at the same time I feel it still has great value because of the influence it exerted on the 60's counterculture, and on the then-blossoming pagan religious groups which took its ideas to heart. Also, the writing is magnificent, if uneven.

Next on my list is Starship Troopers. Alex tells me that it is the exact opposite of Stranger in a Strange Land, all macho and manly and militaristic. I can get into that. And I never saw the movie, so I have no preconceived notions. It's sitting on a desk upstairs, when I have the time to pick up a novel.

SiaSL was a transition point in Heinlein's career from writing juveniles to exploring other themes with pseudo-adult scenes and themes.

Pay attention the copyright date and divide his books into pre- and post-SiaSL. Look for more books on the side you like.
Back to top Go down
NicknamedBob

Heinlein's Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heinlein's Works   Heinlein's Works EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 7:14 pm

When you get to the one Heinlein's ghost collaborated to write with Spider Robinson, you've read all of it.
Back to top Go down
Coyote

Heinlein's Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heinlein's Works   Heinlein's Works EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 3:49 pm

The Robinson/Heinlein book was a disaster.

I could see it being a good Heinlein, as I can imagine something like Starman Jones being the result, but Robinson made it into something entirely different.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heinlein's Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heinlein's Works   Heinlein's Works Empty

Back to top Go down

Heinlein's Works
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heinlein Central :: Political Discussion :: Heinlein, Politics, and Political Action-
Jump to: