Heinlein Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for people who are social and political iconoclasts (A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill. Robert A. Heinlein)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Man flies with self powered wings?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

Man flies with self powered wings? Empty
PostSubject: Man flies with self powered wings?   Man flies with self powered wings? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 12:38 pm

Is this real?
Back to top Go down
https://heinleincentral.forumotion.com
balrog666

balrog666

PostSubject: Re: Man flies with self powered wings?   Man flies with self powered wings? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 3:33 pm

Looks like a simple hoax to me.

No way he could have generated enough lift from such flapping or at such a low speed and, if he had lifted off, he would have stalled instantly.

Bah, humbug.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: Man flies with self powered wings?   Man flies with self powered wings? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 3:48 pm

balrog666 wrote:

Looks like a simple hoax to me.

No way he could have generated enough lift from such flapping or at such a low speed and, if he had lifted off, he would have stalled instantly.

Bah, humbug.

This is what I thought but I saw a video of Jamie from Mythbusters supporting it.
Back to top Go down
https://heinleincentral.forumotion.com
NicknamedBob

PostSubject: Re: Man flies with self powered wings?   Man flies with self powered wings? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 9:02 pm

Gideon wrote:

Is this real?

Can't say for sure if it's real; the ascent phase seems discontinuous in the video.

But I want to think it's realistic. We know that human arms are not powerful enough to support a person in this manner, but I think the design takes that into consideration.

It looks as though the wing is fully self-supporting, with the articulated section able to be moved by arm motion. That's the way I would do it too.

It's also hard to get a sense of ambient air motion. We know that a glider can lift off in a low wind, rising almost straight up. I didn't see much in the way of motion of the background trees.

If it is in fact a glider, the arm motion could provide some forward motion, if set up properly.
Back to top Go down
The Edge Man

The Edge Man

PostSubject: Re: Man flies with self powered wings?   Man flies with self powered wings? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:21 pm

NicknamedBob wrote:
Gideon wrote:

Is this real?

Can't say for sure if it's real; the ascent phase seems discontinuous in the video.

But I want to think it's realistic. We know that human arms are not powerful enough to support a person in this manner, but I think the design takes that into consideration.

It looks as though the wing is fully self-supporting, with the articulated section able to be moved by arm motion. That's the way I would do it too.

It's also hard to get a sense of ambient air motion. We know that a glider can lift off in a low wind, rising almost straight up. I didn't see much in the way of motion of the background trees.

If it is in fact a glider, the arm motion could provide some forward motion, if set up properly.

I Name Thee Icarus

tongue
Back to top Go down
NicknamedBob

PostSubject: Re: Man flies with self powered wings?   Man flies with self powered wings? EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 1:19 am

The Edge Man wrote:

I Name Thee Icarus

tongue

Well, thanks!

But I would have set up the flapping motion differently. How, for example, do you make turns?

Now, the fellow's outfit shows a tail of sorts, fabric between his legs. One could use that as a rudder, I suppose.

But I would want to have some ability to pull one wing down for push-back, and let the other air-brake a bit. That would make for fast turns and actual maneuvering.

In retrospect, I'm not sure what I saw in the video would have actually propelled someone forward. There was a flapping action, but how efficient it was, I could not tell.

Interesting subject. It is, by the way, something discussed by Heinlein; flying on the moon. (The Menace From Earth)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Man flies with self powered wings?   Man flies with self powered wings? Empty

Back to top Go down

Man flies with self powered wings?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heinlein Central :: Science :: Science-
Jump to: