Heinlein Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for people who are social and political iconoclasts (A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill. Robert A. Heinlein)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

De-legislative House of Congress

Go down 
+4
balrog666
SeanF
Sam Cree
Gideon
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

De-legislative House of Congress Empty
PostSubject: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 11:33 am

Heinlein suggested a Tri-carmel Congress in the Moon is a Harsh Mistress. This third house would be simply a body that would uncreate laws. Basically a deregulation body.

I suggest it work this way

1 representative from each state appointed by the Governor

a simple majority can override any law

The deregulators can not deregulate the constitution

NO LOBBYING any outside money or politics is banned.

Laws must be at least 4 years old to be decommissioned.

Last edited by Gideon on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://heinleincentral.forumotion.com
Sam Cree

PostSubject: Re: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 9:53 pm

I've thought for some years that Congress should pass a moratorium on new legislation and spend 10 years trying to repeal all the bad laws they've passed in the last couple of centuries. So, I guess I agree with Heinlein on that.
Back to top Go down
SeanF

PostSubject: Re: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Sam Cree wrote:
I've thought for some years that Congress should pass a moratorium on new legislation and spend 10 years trying to repeal all the bad laws they've passed in the last couple of centuries. So, I guess I agree with Heinlein on that.
Here's my idea:

First, every law passed by the federal government must have a sunset on it (and the length of the sunset is not optional; at least, there's an upper limit, say no longer than ten years). If it's actually a good law, there'll be no problem with future congresses re-authorizing it. Plus, with future congresses having all these sunsetting laws to worry about, they won't have to pass new laws to try to justify their phony-baloney jobs.

Secondly, until such time as all federal laws have a sunset, any new law passed shall require the repealing of two such existing no-sunset laws.
Back to top Go down
balrog666

balrog666

PostSubject: Re: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 2:57 pm

SeanF wrote:
Sam Cree wrote:
Here's my idea:

First, every law passed by the federal government must have a sunset on it (and the length of the sunset is not optional; at least, there's an upper limit, say no longer than ten years). If it's actually a good law, there'll be no problem with future congresses re-authorizing it. Plus, with future congresses having all these sunsetting laws to worry about, they won't have to pass new laws to try to justify their phony-baloney jobs.

Secondly, until such time as all federal laws have a sunset, any new law passed shall require the repealing of two such existing no-sunset laws.

I like the sunset provision.

I would also suggest an Intent of Law section for each bill, written in simple English, provided as a guide to any judge who can't seem to find his ass with both hands about what the law actually means.
Back to top Go down
Poohbah

PostSubject: Re: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 3:42 pm

balrog666 wrote:
I would also suggest an Intent of Law section for each bill, written in simple English, provided as a guide to any judge who can't seem to find his ass with both hands about what the law actually means.

I guarantee that any attempt to do this would be opposed to the death by The Usual Suspects.
Back to top Go down
NicknamedBob

PostSubject: Re: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 12:37 am

Somewhere there should be a reference back to the Constitutional authority for the law.
Back to top Go down
El Goodo

PostSubject: Re: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 12:24 pm

NicknamedBob wrote:
Somewhere there should be a reference back to the Constitutional authority for the law.

Agreed. I was in personnel when in the Navy. Every change I made to a service record, every order I typed up, everything had to be noted as in accordance with the relevant Military Personnel Manual article. We had to identify the DOD authority which allowed us to do what we did. It would be a good idea to require that of laws, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:17 pm

El Goodo wrote:
NicknamedBob wrote:

Agreed. I was in personnel when in the Navy. Every change I made to a service record, every order I typed up, everything had to be noted as in accordance with the relevant Military Personnel Manual article. We had to identify the DOD authority which allowed us to do what we did. It would be a good idea to require that of laws, IMO.

This would be war. It would gut Congressional power more than anything else we have suggested here.
Back to top Go down
El Goodo

PostSubject: Re: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 6:03 pm

Gideon wrote:
El Goodo wrote:
NicknamedBob wrote:

This would be war. It would gut Congressional power more than anything else we have suggested here.

So be it. Twisted Evil

Seriously, though, not doing something to reign in federal power will likely lead to some kind of war as well. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Back to top Go down
NicknamedBob

PostSubject: Re: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 7:01 pm

Gideon wrote:
El Goodo wrote:
NicknamedBob wrote:

Nah. They'd just lump everything under the commerce clause, as they are currently trying to do in arguments before the Supreme Court.

If growing wheat on your own land for your own use falls under the commerce clause, and it does, and;

If growing marijuana in your own home, for your own use, falls under the commerce clause, and it does, then logically;

Nothing you can do or choose not to do will allow your activities to be private, to be untaxed and unregulated, and;

your ass is grass, and the commerce clause is the law'n'more.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 7:07 pm

It is at the point that you can't move without breaking a law so why follow any law other than what you yourself deem right and decent.
Back to top Go down
gcruse

PostSubject: Re: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 7:10 pm

Quote :
Even the majority does not argue that respondents’ conduct is itself “Commerce among the several States.” Art. I, §8, cl. 3. Ante, at 19. Monson and Raich neither buy nor sell the marijuana that they consume. They cultivate their cannabis entirely in the State of California–it never crosses state lines, much less as part of a commercial transaction. Certainly no evidence from the founding suggests that “commerce” included the mere possession of a good or some purely personal activity that did not involve trade or exchange for value. In the early days of the Republic, it would have been unthinkable that Congress could prohibit the local cultivation, possession, and consumption of marijuana.

Justice Thomas, Gonzales v. Raich, dissenting
Back to top Go down
El Goodo

PostSubject: Re: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Gideon wrote:
It is at the point that you can't move without breaking a law so why follow any law other than what you yourself deem right and decent.

And that is the "nation of lawbreakers". I suspect most people do these days, to varying degrees.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: De-legislative House of Congress   De-legislative House of Congress Empty

Back to top Go down

De-legislative House of Congress
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heinlein Central :: Political Discussion :: Heinlein, Politics, and Political Action-
Jump to: