Heinlein Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for people who are social and political iconoclasts (A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill. Robert A. Heinlein)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Obama’s algae racket

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
gcruse

Obama’s algae racket Empty
PostSubject: Obama’s algae racket   Obama’s algae racket EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:40 pm

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/23/obamas-algae-racket

I've been wondering whatever happened to the stimulus money. Now we know.
Quote :

Obama’s promotion of algae as a fuel source at a campaign speech in Miami last month caught the nation’s attention. But algae companies have been banking on administration support from Day One.

In December 2008, when the White House announced the nomination of Energy Secretary Steven Chu, the CEO of Florida-based biofuels startup Algenol, Paul Woods, exulted to Time magazine: “You see this smile on my face? It’s not going away. Everyone is really excited by this.” The next year, Woods and Algenol — dubbed “Obama’s favorite algae company” by Forbes magazine — racked up $25 million in federal stimulus grants from Chu. Say cheese.

Yet another algae-based biofuels developer, Sapphire Energy, has absorbed $105 million in stimulus funds and loan guarantees even as doubts about the practicality, efficiency and viability of pond-scum fuels multiply.

Solyndra was just the tip of the iceberg waiting to sink the US.
Back to top Go down
NicknamedBob

PostSubject: Re: Obama’s algae racket   Obama’s algae racket EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 7:32 pm

gcruse wrote:
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/23/obamas-algae-racket

I've been wondering whatever happened to the stimulus money. Now we know.
Quote :

Obama’s promotion of algae as a fuel source at a campaign speech in Miami last month caught the nation’s attention. But algae companies have been banking on administration support from Day One.

In December 2008, when the White House announced the nomination of Energy Secretary Steven Chu, the CEO of Florida-based biofuels startup Algenol, Paul Woods, exulted to Time magazine: “You see this smile on my face? It’s not going away. Everyone is really excited by this.” The next year, Woods and Algenol — dubbed “Obama’s favorite algae company” by Forbes magazine — racked up $25 million in federal stimulus grants from Chu. Say cheese.

Yet another algae-based biofuels developer, Sapphire Energy, has absorbed $105 million in stimulus funds and loan guarantees even as doubts about the practicality, efficiency and viability of pond-scum fuels multiply.

Solyndra was just the tip of the iceberg waiting to sink the US.

I do wish our brothers in pond-scum well.
Back to top Go down
gcruse

PostSubject: Re: Obama’s algae racket   Obama’s algae racket EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 7:50 pm

NicknamedBob wrote:

I do wish our brothers in pond-scum well.

Meet the New Boss

Scum dressed up as algae
is Obama's bacon.
Why, it's free fuel forever
just ours for the takin'.

But once we've disconnected
from oil baron curmudgeons,
the algae-scum gap
will be the new bludgeon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content