Heinlein Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for people who are social and political iconoclasts (A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill. Robert A. Heinlein)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

SCOTUS & health care

Go down 
+6
gcruse
Inspector_Clouseau
El Goodo
Curr
Nilla
kellynch
10 posters
AuthorMessage
kellynch

kellynch

SCOTUS & health care Empty
PostSubject: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 1:27 pm

This is the latest from SCOTUSblog: (http://www.scotusblog.com/)

Quote :

"Based on the questions posed to Paul Clement, the lead attorney for the state
challengers to the individual mandate, it appears that the mandate is in
trouble."

and

Quote :
Towards the end of the argument the most important question was Justice Kennedy’s. After pressing the government with great questions Kennedy raised the possibility that the plaintiffs were right that the mandate was a unique effort to force people into commerce to subsidize health insurance but the insurance market may be unique enough to justify that unusual treatment.
Back to top Go down
http://currentscene.wordpress.com
Nilla
Admin
Nilla

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 1:45 pm

kellynch wrote:
This is the latest from SCOTUSblog: (http://www.scotusblog.com/)

Quote :
Towards the end of the argument the most important question was Justice Kennedy’s. After pressing the government with great questions Kennedy raised the possibility that the plaintiffs were right that the mandate was a unique effort to force people into commerce to subsidize health insurance but the insurance market may be unique enough to justify that unusual treatment.
Wonderful. Rolling Eyes

If Kennedy sides with the statists, it is all over for this country. I sincerely believe that.
Back to top Go down
kellynch

kellynch

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 1:55 pm

The plaintiffs are the people on our side.
Back to top Go down
Curr

Curr

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 2:03 pm

kellynch wrote:
True, but the inclusion of the caveat "but the insurance market may be unique enough to justify that unusual treatment. " does not give me a warm fuzzy.
Back to top Go down
El Goodo

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Curr wrote:
kellynch wrote:
True, but the inclusion of the caveat "but the insurance market may be unique enough to justify that unusual treatment. " does not give me a warm fuzzy.

Yeah, that makes me a bit uneasy as well. "Unique enough". Weird.
Back to top Go down
Nilla
Admin
Nilla

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Curr wrote:
kellynch wrote:
Right. I should have just highlighted those words "unique enough".

Kennedy just tipped his hand.

See my avatar for clarification.
Back to top Go down
Inspector_Clouseau

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 5:21 pm

What the hell does "unique enough" even mean?

Something is either unique or it isn't.

Unique doesn't admit gradations.

- - - - - - - - - -

BTW, hi everybody. Thanks to Gideon and Nilla and whoever else for setting this up.
Back to top Go down
gcruse

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 5:25 pm

Inspector_Clouseau wrote:

That's very true.
Back to top Go down
El Goodo

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Inspector_Clouseau wrote:

Exactly. My concern is that he meant "special enough". Either way, that's a pretty jacked up litmus test.
Back to top Go down
doc30

doc30

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Some talk makes it seem that Alito is following Kennedy.
Back to top Go down
kellynch

kellynch

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm listening to Hugh Hewitt right now (we get it on tape delay). He's an attorney and law professor in California. He is playing parts of both attorneys' question/answer sessions, and he is convinced that the government flunky spent his time flailing and that the plaintiffs' attorney is soaring with eagles. He firmly believes that Kennedy is on our side.

I highly recommend listening to a replay of his show. It's very enlightening.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:15 pm

This is the decision that determines how soon the Second American Civil War occurs. If Obama care survives SCOTUS the war will happen soon and while I am young enough to care. If not we can drag on well past my retirement age before the war starts.
Back to top Go down
https://heinleincentral.forumotion.com
desertrat

desertrat

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 11:44 pm

kellynch wrote:
I'm listening to Hugh Hewitt right now (we get it on tape delay). He's an attorney and law professor in California. He is playing parts of both attorneys' question/answer sessions, and he is convinced that the government flunky spent his time flailing and that the plaintiffs' attorney is soaring with eagles. He firmly believes that Kennedy is on our side.

I highly recommend listening to a replay of his show. It's very enlightening.
Good news at this point. Keeping fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Nilla
Admin
Nilla

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 12:08 am

Gideon wrote:
This is the decision that determines how soon the Second American Civil War occurs. If Obama care survives SCOTUS the war will happen soon and while I am young enough to care. If not we can drag on well past my retirement age before the war starts.
The opposition to Marxmed is visceral. I have a hard time imagining that the >50% of the nation that wants no part of this law will just sit back and allow it to be shoved down their throats. Something is going to give.
Back to top Go down
doc30

doc30

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 12:58 am

The MSM is already trotting out more horror stories regarding people without insurance. Anyone bother to tell them ObamaCare only makes them buy insurance and they don't get it for free? Unless they are very poor.
Back to top Go down
balrog666

balrog666

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 pm

Nilla wrote:
Gideon wrote:
The opposition to Marxmed is visceral. I have a hard time imagining that the >50% of the nation that wants no part of this law will just sit back and allow it to be shoved down their throats. Something is going to give.

Next stop will be bullets and blood.
Back to top Go down
Gideon
Admin
Gideon

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 12:34 am

When society creates a underclass that is dependent on handouts from the government. Then that society creates the means for even the laziest person to have a vote. Then that society is doomed. Leeches will vote to suck more blood it is in their nature.
Back to top Go down
https://heinleincentral.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SCOTUS & health care   SCOTUS & health care Empty

Back to top Go down

SCOTUS & health care
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heinlein Central :: Political Discussion :: National-
Jump to: